Monday, November 3, 2008

Male knitters shall destroy the Earth!!!!!

So as I have travelled on this knitting road, I have begun to get more comfortable with knitting in public. But an incident last week basically made me realize that being a male knitter is a source of power so awesome that we could destroy the planet, should we so desire. I was at the Royal Oak bus terminal, awaiting my transfer to go to work the other day, and working hard to get the latest project done: A baby blanket for my soon to arrive niece. I am not one of those "don't look while you knit" types, but I do often look up to see what's going on. I noticed a car going by, and the gentleman behind the wheel was seemingly astonished to see a guy my size knitting. Not as astonished mind you, as he was crashing into the vehicle in front of him that had stopped for a red light. It was really hard to suppress my laughter, especially as he looked over at me, eyes wide in disbelief, as though he were expecting me to leap forward and cry out "My bad!!! Sorry, I was knitting!!!" But instead, I became aware of a smirk creeping across my face. Imagine it, maybe not the thought of an army of knitters using the power for evil (because after all, there is no evil wrought from knitting, as we all know), but for good. We could stop wars, change history, even. We... umm... ok, maybe not. But it was a pretty clear display that people's attitudes towards male knitters is pretty lame. We aren't special. We aren't doing it for attention. We knit out of a need to create, a love of the ability to craft things for those that we love, or need our help.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seriously hope you don't get drunk on this power. Start heading down to the overpass and stuff.

Anonymous said...

men who knit=extreme hotness.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you're a metalhead knitting man)) that's cool. I have to read your posts more attentively, but later ;) Have you knit something connected with metal? some stuff, for example)